No one wants bed bugs in their home. They can be a huge problem. That’s why it’s essential to know how to keep bed bugs away.
Thankfully, there are some simple tips you can follow to keep these pests at bay.
From sealing cracks and crevices to hiring a professional pest control company in Indianapolis, Indiana, this blog post will provide 4 tips to keep bed bugs out of your home.
1) Inspect second-hand furniture before bringing it into your home
When it comes to keeping bed bugs out of your house, one of the most important steps is to inspect any second hand furniture before bringing it in. Bed bugs can easily hide in furniture, and once there’s an infestation, it can be challenging to get rid of them.
Here are some tips on how to inspect the furniture for bed bugs.
- Start by inspecting the outside of the furniture. Look for any signs of bed bug shells or eggs and any small dark spots.
- Carefully look around the seams and creases of the furniture for any signs of bed bugs.
- Check the cushions and other fabric parts of the furniture for signs of bed bugs.
- Use a flashlight to search for any cracks or crevices that bed bugs may have used to get inside the furniture.
- If possible, remove any drawers and shelves to inspect them for signs of bed bugs.
- Use a hose attachment to vacuum the furniture thoroughly. Dispose of the bag immediately afterward.
- If you find any signs of bed bugs, it’s best to avoid purchasing the furniture altogether and seek professional help if you already have the furniture in your home.
These small steps can help you avoid a HUGE problem. But it’s still best to trust the professionals at AAA Exterminating Inc. We know pests!
2) Keep an eye out for signs of bed bugs when traveling
Traveling can be a great way to explore new places. Unfortunately, it can also bring unwelcome guests home with you. Bed bugs are pesky little creatures that can quickly turn your vacation into a nightmare.
Fortunately, there are a few steps you can take to help prevent bed bugs from returning with you.
- Be aware of bed bugs when you are traveling. They are small, reddish-brown, and about the size of an apple seed. They like to hide in cracks and crevices during the day, so keep an eye out for small black spots on mattress seams, box springs, and other furniture. Also, pay attention to the areas around the headboard and bed frame, as these are common hiding spots.
- Another tip is to inspect your luggage and clothing before leaving your hotel room. Carefully check all of your items for any signs of bed bug infestations. It’s best to store your luggage away from the bed while staying in a hotel, as this can reduce the risk of bed bugs hitchhiking their way home with you.
- Finally, if you do find signs of bed bugs in your hotel room, notify the management immediately. If possible, ask to be moved to another room. You should also take extra precautions by washing your clothing in hot water when you get home.
Following these simple steps, you can help ensure that bed bugs won’t ruin your next trip by following you home.
3) Launder all of your linens regularly
Keeping bed bugs out of your Indianapolis, Indiana, home starts with regular laundering of your linens.
Bed bugs are adept at hiding in mattresses, sheets, pillows, and blankets, so regularly washing and drying these items is essential to prevent an infestation. In addition, it’s important to remember that bed bugs can survive if the laundry runs through a cold cycle.
As such, it’s best to run your linens through a hot wash and dry cycle. The combination of hot water and heat will help kill bed bugs lurking in the linens.
It’s also important to note that bed bugs can hide in more than just your bedding. Clothes and other fabric items should also be laundered regularly to prevent an infestation. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when washing any clothing or fabric item.
Finally, be sure to clean out the lint trap. Bed bugs can easily hide in lint, so regular cleaning of your lint trap is essential to keeping your home free of these pests.
4) Call a professional if you suspect you have bed bugs.
Bed bugs are a very unpleasant problem to have in your home. Unfortunately, they are quite common in the Indianapolis area, so taking steps to keep them out of your home is essential.
If you suspect that you may already have bed bugs, call a professional for help. A pest control specialist can identify and eliminate bed bugs from your home and prevent future infestations.
When you call AAA Exterminating Inc., ask questions about our methods and experience with bed bugs. We will thoroughly explain our processes and check your home to ensure the pests have been eliminated.
Contact us at (317) 773-3797 for more information, and get rid of your pest issues now!